It’s pretty common to have a water leak and not even realize it. Most leaks are hidden from plain sight and require special attention to detail in order to notice them. Take a moment and look for the following signs that result in the need for leak detection services.
1. Mushy Ground- If it’s not raining often in your area, your yard should stay dry. However, if you walk around your house and notice areas of mushy, moist ground, you can probably benefit from water leak detection services. Unusually mushy ground could signify a broken water line that’s draining directly into the earth around your home. Allowing the leak to go unfixed will not only keep your yard soggy, but could eventually cause the earth to shift, causing costly damage to your foundation.
2. Skyrocketing Water Bill- One of the easiest ways to spot a water leak is to keep a close eye on your monthly water bill. If you go from paying 50 dollars a month to 350, you probably have a leak or a busted line. Make sure you compare bills over a period of time. Also consider looking at last year’s bill. For instance, if you have a high bill in June of 2010, look back at June 2009’s bill. If there’s a significant difference, you need to call a water leak detection company. water leak detection
3. Sound of Continuously Run ning Water- Everyone knows the sound of a running toilet or dishwasher. Since it’s such a normal sound in the typical home, you might fail to notice the sound when appliances aren’t running. Periodically check your appliances and toilets when you hear the sound of running water to make sure something is actually turned on. If you hear the sound but know everything is turned off, you must have a leak under your home or in the walls.
4. Mysteriously Changing Water Meter- If you suspect a water leak, turn off everything that uses water in your home for about an hour. After awhile, go to your water meter and have a close look. Is it still running? A running meter signifies the need for water leak detection.
5. Wet Spots in Home- Wet spots on floors and walls might be common in a home with frequent spills. However, if you notice discolored areas where you’re sure nothing has been spilled, keep a look out. If they don’t go away or you notice more, you may have a hidden water leak.
6. Musty Smells- Smelling a musty odor in your home means that water is lurking somewhere. Consider hiring a water leak detection expert to help you hunt down the source. Breathing in the moist air is not only uncomfortable, but it also can negatively impact your allergies.
7. Need for Excessive Pool Chemical Treatments- When a swimming pool has a leak, you’ll probably find yourself treating it with more chemicals than normal. That’s because the costly chemicals are leaking out along with the water. Keep track of chemicals you use each month. If you see a drastic fluctuation, begin searching for leak detection services.